Getting Started Guide
At Beeper, we're building the best darn chat app in the world.
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Getting Started Guide
It's time! Start messaging across Beeper's 15+ networks in just four steps. Don't have an invite code yet? Get on the waitlist at Beeper.com
⚠️ Beeper may be less secure than using encrypted chat apps by themselves ⚠️
- Beeper is a universal chat app that supports connections to 15+ chat networks. To use Beeper, you must give the app permission to send and receive messages through other chat networks using your account credentials. By definition, this may be less secure than using other chat apps alone, especially encrypted chat apps like Signal.
Step 1 - Install Beeper on Desktop
After downloading and launching the desktop app, use the email you signed up with to set up your account. Please verify and confirm your name, email, and username as you make progress through the steps (you may also choose to edit them if needed)
Step 2 - Set Up Your Account
Save your Recovery Code in a password manager.
⚠️ Beeper does not have a copy of the Recovery Code, so if you lose your key, you'll lose access to your message history. ⚠️
Step 3 - Connect to Chat Networks
Once you follow the steps and you’re in, you will see the Chat Networks view. Follow the instructions for each to set things up. Click through the below sub-pages to see individual setups and FAQs for every chat network.
Also, if you ever need to come back to this view, click the Gear icon on the top left → Chat Networks
Note: Sometimes, we may refer to these connections as Bridges since our software bridges Beeper and each chat network.
The level of functionality supported varies for every chat network. Check out “What features does Beeper support for my network?”.
You should see a prompt to set up Contacts once you set up chat networks on the desktop app. More here.
Step 4 - Install Beeper on Mobile
Beeper has an app for iPhone, iPad, and Android. Download on your desktop first, then install on your phone!
We're here every step of the way! After logging into Beeper, search for Beeper Support (also called Beeper Help) inside the app. If you can't log in or have setup issues, email email@example.com. We're improving Beeper every day, and appreciate it if you would report bugs and send us your feedback!
Ctrl/⌘+K to search for Beeper Support (which can also be named Beeper Help) to chat with our team!
Beeper Tips & Tricks
Inbox can help you keep the rooms you want to focus on in the forefront.
The scheduled messages feature is currently available on the desktop app. Messages can be scheduled from the compose bar section by typing in a message and clicking the schedule button.
Starting a new chat is available for the iMessage, WhatsApp, Telegram, Signal, and Android SMS bridges. Beeper Desktop and Android can only create group chats are for Android SMS and iMessage!
How do I log into each chat network?
- Every chat network has a different way of logging into Beeper. Some may require 2-factor authentication or QR code scanning. If you encounter any difficulties, click on the chat app connection support page above or contact Beeper Support.
I am having trouble connecting to Facebook|Telegram|WhatsApp| etc...
- First, read the Step 3 – Connect to Chat Networks. If these don't work, please contact Beeper Support. We would be happy to guide you through setup!
Can I connect to multiple chat networks simultaneously during the setup?
- We can only connect/log into one network at a time, so please complete connecting one network before moving on to the next.
Can I continue setting up my chat networks later?
- Yes. Click the gear icon in the top left-hand corner of the Beeper desktop app and click 'Chat Networks'.
How long should it take to set up each chat network?
- Each chat network set-up should take about a minute, or less. It's normal to see a loading symbol while your messages sync to Beeper. If it takes longer, please report to Beeper by clicking the Report a Bug feature from the Gear Icon ⚙️ on the top left; remember to save any screenshots and send them later to your Beeper Support (can also be named Beeper Help) chat room. Once you do that, try closing the Chat Networks screen and re-opening it.
When will I see all of my message history in Beeper?
- The level of support for this feature depends on the chat network. See this article for a complete breakdown.
What chat features from each chat network are supported in Beeper?
- The level of functionality supported varies for every network. Further details are outlined here: Network Feature Support.
What shortcuts does Beeper have?
- Click ⌘/Ctrl+? to view all keyboard shortcuts.
Can I prioritize or de-prioritize any of my chats?
- You can pin chats, set them as Low Priority, mark them as unread, and mute conversations. Right-click on any chat from the left side panel to see the options menu. Pinning chats will keep them at the top of your inbox.
Is there a list of known Beeper issues?
- Not yet. Working on it!
What is the best way to report bugs and share feedback?
- Help make Beeper better! Please do not ignore bugs. The easiest (and recommended) way is by following this article! In case of any issues with the support chat, please report via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Likewise, we love hearing what you want to see in Beeper. Please send us your feedback and feature requests.
Can I self-host my own chat networks?
- We do have a project that covers this. You can find out more here: https://github.com/beeper/bridge-manager for all the details!
Does Beeper run on Chrome OS?
How can I learn more about Beeper?
- Beeper - Product Changelog
- Follow Beeper app updates in the Beeper Updates chat room. You can search for this room from the command bar search by hitting Cmd+K (Mac) or Ctrl+K. Also, check out our website, blog, and follow us on Twitter for other general updates!
What are Beeper's privacy features?